Beacon Blog

Facebook

Beacon Academy

Beacon Academy, an extra year of school between 8th and 9th grades, prepares smart, hard-working and kind urban students for success in independent high schools. It is the first school of its kind in the country.
Beacon Academy
Beacon AcademyMonday, November 20th, 2017 at 4:03pm
Know a prospective student for Beacon? Join us for our Open House on 12/1 and sign up here!
Beacon Academy
Beacon AcademySunday, November 12th, 2017 at 1:09pm
Alumni Homecoming @ Bella Luna
Beacon Academy
Beacon AcademyTuesday, November 7th, 2017 at 9:39pm
Join us for our Open House on Friday, December 1st! Prospective students, nominating organizations, and individual nominators are highly encouraged to attend at Temple Israel. Learn more about what it takes to get into Beacon.

To sign up for the Open House, please RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2yepyPH
Beacon Academy
Beacon AcademyThursday, October 26th, 2017 at 9:47pm
Here's what participants in Beacon's 12th Annual Symposium on Race and Class in Education had to say about the event. We thank all for their candor, thoughtfulness, and bold approach to tackling these subjects.
Beacon Academy
Beacon Academy added 60 new photos — at Beacon Academy.Monday, October 23rd, 2017 at 1:53pm
Educators and champions of equity joined together on October 20th, 2017 at Temple Israel for a full day of dialogue around race and class.

An informative panel discussion, community forum, and a number of workshops were hosted by Beacon Academy.

Images: ARS MAGNA STUDIO
Beacon Academy
Beacon AcademyMonday, October 16th, 2017 at 12:27pm
Our very own Rebecca Forrester, Beacon's College Advisor, makes a visit to Buxton to see our graduates thriving in the beautiful town of Williamstown.

Twitter

Monday, November 20th, 2017 at 1:33pm
We had a great time at the Lilla G. Frederick High School fair today signing up prospective students with Beacon graduates Iashai and Angelica! https://t.co/70fdYASwYi beaconboston photo
Monday, October 23rd, 2017 at 11:56am
Over 38 independent schools and 90 total organizations attended the Symposium on Friday. Photos: https://t.co/rBn0NfV3XV https://t.co/2tNckIMJ8j beaconboston photo
Thursday, October 19th, 2017 at 9:54pm
We hope you can join us for the Symposium! See you all tomorrow morning ☺️ https://t.co/4UfeNCHcQv beaconboston photo

Dennishia – Spring Celebration 2017 Speech

Beacon Academy founding class member, Dennishia Bell (’06) is off to an incredibly bright start. She will be graduating this year with two masters degrees and has been selected as the first Beacon graduate to join the Board of Trustees. Dennishia’s grace, sense of humor, and commitment to the mission of Beacon is evident in her moving remarks from our Spring Celebration. Read on to be inspired.

My name is Dennishia Bell. I graduated from Beacon twelve years ago in the founding class. To give you a sense of how much has changed – in 2005, I was about 5 inches shorter with an attitude as big as this room.

I had just graduated 8th grade at a public school in East Boston and I was less than excited to go to Beacon Academy. All my friends were going to high school and I didn’t want to repeat a year and “miss out” on high school.  Would an extra year at Beacon make any difference at all?

What I didn’t know is that simply by choosing Beacon, in the face of all the uncertainty, my life had already begun to change. My work ethic, my commitment to excellence, my vision for my future —- it all began to develop the day I said Yes to that seemingly strange experiment of a school.

My 14 months at Beacon instilled in me discipline, perseverance and resilience. Countless nights spent studying until the early hours. I lost many of my old friends from my neighborhood. I held on to the idea that something was waiting for me on the other side.

I will never forget the Spring of that year. We were waiting to hear back from independent schools. I was filled with intense fear and broke down one day in tears at home. My mom said to me, “You’ve worked so hard. It will work out.” But I was in the darkness and I wasn’t sure if everything that Beacon promised would come to true. It did.

That Spring at Beacon,  I was accepted to Williston Northhampton with a full-ride scholarship – a 4-year package valued at $160,000. Four years later, I graduated and headed to Emmanuel College where I received my BAs in Psychology. This December I will graduate with two Masters degrees in Business Administration and Clinical Social Work. And I’ve been granted an opportunity to step onto the Board of Trustees at Beacon Academy.

No I am not the girl who walked in on the first day. I am so grateful to the faculty, staff, leadership here at Beacon for the endless support from Day 1. To think in just 12 years, I have stepped from the classroom to the boardroom as the first alumni trustee is testament to the power of the 14 months at Beacon and their continued support in the decade that followed. I am thrilled to introduce Pam Dickinson, whose leadership inspires me. Please join me in acknowledging Pam for her service and vision of Beacon. Please join me in acknowledging Pam and welcoming her to share her experience.